Summer may be fast approaching, but here at JustHelping we’re still looking back at what an amazing Christmas we had. One of our biggest collections is in the Greater Manchester Area, in aid of St Ann’s Hospice, the oldest and largest adult hospice outside of London.
For the fourth consecutive year, with the invaluable support of the local community, the Christmas tree collection in aid of St Ann’s has grown, and we are proud to say that this year was the biggest ever, going from 850 trees collected in 2016 to an incredible 1540 trees this year – raising a whopping £19,800 (including Gift Aid)!
As the collection grows, so does the support that the local communities gives, both from new members and long-term supporters. It may sound like a cliché, but the work of JustHelping and the massive success of these collections simply would not be possible without your support. Whether its local businesses sponsoring leaflets, local residents delivering those leaflets, community organisations and clubs helping to collect and chip the trees and the various local companies loaning the woodchipper and the fleet of transportation vehicles, or the volunteers fuelling everyone with butties and brews on the day; everyone comes together to achieve something spectacular.
Where the monies go...
Each year, after costs, 80% of the money raised is donated to the hospice, with the remaining 20% going to local charities, organisations and causes nominated by and close to the hearts of local volunteers and the community. Hospices like St Ann’s play a vital role in our towns and cities, but smaller, local charities are often even closer to the local community, working with the most disadvantaged and at-risk people in the local area. That’s why we’re so thrilled that we can support them each year. These causes range from local cancer care centres and neo-natal units to local cricket and rugby clubs, reaching and giving back to every corner of the local community.
The final figures show that £15,650.96 has been donated to St Ann's Hospice and £3,960.00 has been donated as follows:
- Beechwood Cancer Care as nominated by UK Gossip Girls Group - £300
- Kidscan as nominated by Gossip Girls Group - £300
- St Francis House as nominated by Didsbury CC - £325
- Signpost Stockport for Carers as nominated by UK Gossip Girls Group - £300
- The Christie as nominated by Treeworks - £275
- St Mary's Neonatal - £500
- Jacob Stewart as nominated by Bowden Rugby Club - £200
- St Ann's Hospice as nominated by Spectrum Plant Hire - £250
- Beechwood Cancer Care as nominated by James Fielding - £250
- 1000 hearts for harry as nominated by Bramhall CC - £375
- Bramhall CC - £300
- St Ann's Hospice as nominated by Hazel Grove Scouts - £250
- 4 Heatons Trading Association to be reinvested in the local community - £335
We're already planning the collection in 2019...
As ever, we’re not only looking at where we’ve been and what we’ve achieved so far, but also looking forward to how we can grow and make our collections even more successful. The St Ann’s Hospice 2019 collection will take place from the 11th to the 13th of January, and we want to reach out as far as we can, expanding to include places like Marple, Romiley, Sale and Timperley. But to do that, we will need even more support, and that’s where you come in. Whether it’s as a volunteer collector, a business sponsor or even if you just want to donate your tree to us – if you think you can help us please don’t hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org and join the JustHelping family of volunteers.
You can also take a look at our Volunteer’s View video for more information about why volunteering is so important.
JustHelping would like to acknowledge and thank the following for their invaluable support for the St Ann’s Collection: Famous Henry’s and Oscar Pet Food, Lovell Group, Roost Restaurants, Bramhall Cricket Club, James Fielding, Treeworks, Spectrum Plant Hire, Didsbury Cricket Club, Bowden Rugby Club, Binzilla, Midshire Business Systems, Chrome Motors, Europcar, Hazel Grove Scouts, Four Heatons Traders Association, SK Magazines, Cheshire and South Manchester UK Gossip Girls, local schools who distributed leaflets, as well as the countless individuals who delivered leaflets, collected trees, helped with catering on the day, and who helped us with administrative tasks. We couldn’t do it without you.